[Python-Dev] FreeBSD test suite failure -> curses

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Mar 29 18:37:08 CET 2008

> Actually, given my recent results and discussion with Thomas Dickey I am not
> so sure.

Even if there is a bug in the test or in Python that causes newscr to
become NULL - why does that not show up in other releases, or on other
systems?

> Thomas mentioned after seeing an ltrace:
>
> Perhaps it's failing on that:
>
>         curses.setupterm(fd=sys.__stdout__.fileno())
>
> That would have newscr null. The failure might be from closing stdout, e.g.,
> if it was redirected.

Can you debug this and confirm that this call indeed sets newscr to NULL?

At the point the test is run, stdout is not closed; instead, it is a
pipe going to the build slave. Usually, all curses output shows up
in the buildbot log (which doesn't really automatically test whether
the right thing is happening - but we don't want to test the system's
curses library, anyway).

Regards,
Martin