[Python-Dev] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat May 3 21:24:23 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>  "Stefan Behnel" <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote in message
>  news:481C49E5.6080403 at behnel.de...
>
> | Any chance to try it without signing contracts with Google?
>
>  Depends:
>
>  Yes.  You may read anything without an account.
>
>  No.  You may not write anything to a Google hosted service without a Google
>  account, agreeing to standard Terms of Service, and signing in.  This will
>  not change.

That's not true for apps hosted under AppEngine. Apps are not required
to request users to log in before they upload things. I chose to do
this for the review app because I don't like the idea of anonymous
comments and uploads (and the spam danger).

>  Maybe. You might someday be able to write without a Google account IF Guido
>  can release as open source

It will be released as open source (Apache 2) on Monday. I'm just
cleaning up the code a bit.

>  and IF someone adapts it to work on a different
>  platform (Django with regular DB backend) and then hosts it elsewhere.

No, that won't be necessary. If someone contributes an alternate
authentication system I'd be happy to adopt it.

>  Of
>  course, any such alternative would probably also require an account and
>  Terms of Service agreement.

You're seeing this to strictly. While developers hosting their app are
held by an Google terms of service agreement, they are not required to
hold their users to such an agreement.