[Python-Dev] Buildbots have trouble checking out the repository due to recent changes.

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:08:14 CEST 2008

2008/5/12 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
> > Revision 63129 is not valid on case folding filesystems. In
>  > particular, this horribly breaks using hg-svn to make a local mirror
>  > of the Python repository:
>
>  That would be a bug in hg-svn, right? Yes, the revision is not valid
>  on case-folding systems - but why should that break hg-svn? The tool
>  should be able to represent such stuff in its repository (whatever
>  concept of repository hg may have); it should then only fail if you also
>  want to check out that specific revision.

Absolutely it's a bug in hgsvn (which is a converter for svn -> hg,
this isn't a bug in hg), but it's a design issue (hgsvn works by
checking out each revision in turn and checking it into hg) triggered
by having a svn revision which cannot be represented on a case-folsing
system.

>  There is no way to remove this revision from the repository now
>  (other than a full dump|filter|load cycle, which I would rather want to
>  avoid).

OK, there's no way this is justified for such an obscure issue - all
I'm really asking is that people remember case-folding systems when
making changes like this.

>  > I know it's a rare situation, but can people PLEASE be careful not to
>  > introduce case issues like this - they pollute history for ever (I
>  > still hit problems with some of the case funkiness in svn from the
>  > early 1990's!!!)
>
>  Subversion's first release was in October 2000; it wasn't self-hosting
>  until 2001 :-)

I assume it's pre-svn history, converted from CVS. Or I'm misreading
something. Whatever, it's from a long time ago :-)

Paul.