[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 14 12:01:40 CEST 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
>> I'm worried whether it's stable, what user base it has, whether users
>> (other than the authors) are lobbying for inclusion. Statistically,
>> it seems to be not ready yet: it is not even a year old, and has not
>> reached version 1.0 yet.
>
> I'm on Martin's side here. Although I like to see some sort of multi
> processing mechanism in Python 'cause I need it for lots of projects I'm
> against the inclusion of pyprocessing in 2.6 and 3.0. The project isn't
> old and mature enough and it has some competitors like pp (parallel
> processing).
>
> On the one hand the inclusion of a package gives it an unfair advantage
> over similar packages. On the other hand it slows down future
> development because a new feature release must be synced with Python
> releases about every 1.5 years.
>
> -0.5 from me

It also isn't something which needs to be done *right now*. Leaving this
for 3.x/2.7 seems like a much better idea to me. With the continuing
rise of multi-processor desktop machines, the parallel processing
approaches that are out there should see a fair amount of use and active
development over the next 18 months.

Cheers,
Nick.