[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Thu May 15 05:55:57 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 12:19 PM 5/15/2008 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>>
>> Andrew McNabb wrote:
>>
>>> If it made people feel better, maybe it should be called threading2
>>> instead of multiprocessing.
>>
>> I think that errs in the other direction, making it sound
>> like just another way of doing single-process threading,
>> which it's not.
>>
>> Maybe "multicore" would help give the right impression?
>
> Sounds like a marketing win to me, since it directly addresses the "python
> doesn't do multicore" meme.

-1 on "multicore" - multiprocess or multiprocessing are a fine names.
cores are irrelevant.  systems have multiple cpus real or virtual
regardless of how many dies, sockets and cores there are.

+0.5 on inclusion.  that means i am happy if it does but don't think
it needs to make it into 2.6/3.0.  leave inclusion for 2.7/3.1.  its
easy for people to install from an external source for now if they
want it.

-gps