[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Mon May 19 20:50:39 CEST 2008

Bill Janssen schrieb:
>> Hmm, perhaps the ctypes documentation could use a more prominent warning
>> that it may not be available on some Unix platforms (HP-UX, AIX, IRIX),
>> and that it may require the use of GCC rather than the vendor compiler
>> on others (Solaris).
>>
>> At the moment, I suspect some projects may be switching to using it
>> without realising the implications for cross-platform portability.
>
> I think it's a tad more problematic.  As other modules, both in and
> out of the standard library, move to use ctypes, it implies that
> *Python* isn't supported on those combinations.  Personally, that's
> fine with me (as long as there's a workaround for Solaris!), but I
> think that Ulrich is right in saying this should be more prominent.

I won't object if anyone adds this notice to the Python docs,
so please go ahead.  A table of platforms (on the wiki?) where ctypes
builds/works or does not may also be helpful.

Myself I would rather spend my energy to make ctypes more portable, within my
skills and the platforms I have access to.

Thomas