[Python-Dev] SSH key for work

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 23:16:39 CET 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 13:47, Benjamin Peterson
> <musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>> Well, chances are that Martin will add the key and he reads both, so I
>>> didn't worry about it. =)
>>>
>>> But I guess we should decide exactly which mailing list to send to and
>>> put that in the dev FAQ.
>> Section 3.3 of that FAQ:
>>
>> Can I make check-ins from machines other than the one I generated the keys on?
>>

> I know I can simply copy over my private SSH key and it is protected
> by password, but I would rather not expose my personal SSH key more
> than I need to and since I don't control my work machine and it's
> exposure level to others I would rather use another key.

I think Benjamin was referring more to the last sentence:
"If you lose the media on which your keys are stored or the machine on
which your keys are stored, be sure to report this to
pydotorg at python.org at the same time that you change your keys."

Adding a second key is similar to changing the keys. That said, I don't
think python-committers existed when that FAQ entry was written. It's
really up to the folks that can add new SSH keys as to which list is
most convenient for them though.

Cheers,
Nick.