[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Sep 3 02:04:55 CEST 2008

> > An alternative to manipulating PATH would be to make and add to the
> > Start Menu a Command Prompt shortcut, call it Command Window or
> > something, that starts in the Python directory.
>
> The reason for adding the directory to the PATH is for it to be
> recognized in any command prompt, not only the Python-dedicated
> command prompt shortcut.

Actually, that is *your* reason for adding it to the global path.  But
adding it to the global path has many more side-effects than just allowing
'python' to work at the command-prompt - every running program of yours,
even those not related to command-prompts or Python, has the opportunity to
get confused about the files that might appear in those directories.

> Otherwise, the minute another project decides to do the same thing
> (provide a
> custom command prompt shortcut rather than add its own directory to the
> PATH), the user experience becomes very tedious.

The problem is that if every installer offers to update the path, it gets
quite tedious making corrections and tweaks (eg, I'm never offered the
option of *where* on the path to install it, and sometimes this is very
important!)

FWIW, my opinion is similar to how I read Martin's - that if a suitable,
safe patch that cleanly uninstalls can be found, it should be included, but
disabled by default.  Personally I'd never use it.

Cheers,

Mark