[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 3 02:30:21 CEST 2008

Mark Hammond <mhammond <at> skippinet.com.au> writes:

> > The reason for adding the directory to the PATH is for it to be
> > recognized in any command prompt, not only the Python-dedicated
> > command prompt shortcut.
>
> Actually, that is *your* reason for adding it to the global path.

What do you mean? Are there other practical reasons than the above for adding
the directory to the PATH?

>  But
> adding it to the global path has many more side-effects than just allowing
> 'python' to work at the command-prompt - every running program of yours,
> even those not related to command-prompts or Python, has the opportunity to
> get confused about the files that might appear in those directories.

What do you mean by "get confused about the files that might appear in those
directories"?
Unless those running programs of mine deliberately crawl through the PATH (in
which case I assume they have a good reason of doing so), I don't understand in
what way they would "get confused". But I admit I'm not an expert Windows user.

Regards

Antoine.