[Python-Dev] bsddb

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sun Sep 7 20:04:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 03:23:22PM +0200, Jesus Cea wrote:
>> Compared to sqlite, you don't need to know SQL, you can finetuning (for
>> example, using ACI instead of ACID, deciding store by store), and you
>> can do replication and distributed transactions (useful, for example, if
>> your storage is bigger than a single machine capacity, like my case).
>
>   Let me raise the glove. Compared to bsddb:
>
> -- SQLite is public domain; the licensing terms of Berkeley DB[1] are not
>   friendly to commercial applications: "Our open source license ...
>   permits use of Berkeley DB in open source projects or in applications
>   that are not distributed to third parties." I am not sure if using of
>   PyBSDDB in commercial applications is considered "using of Berkeley DB
>   in open source projects";

FWIW, many years ago in the past when I asked sleepycat about this
(long before oracle bought them) they said that python was considered
to be the application.  Using berkeleydb via python for a commercial
application did not require a berkeleydb license.  But my legal advice
is worth as much as the paper its printed on.  Always ask your own
lawyer and oracle about such things.

-gps