[Python-Dev] bsddb

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Mon Sep 8 23:18:27 CEST 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Gregory P. Smith wrote:

> FWIW, many years ago in the past when I asked sleepycat about this
> (long before oracle bought them) they said that python was considered
> to be the application.  Using berkeleydb via python for a commercial
> application did not require a berkeleydb license.

They also posted a FAQ on their web site which included that
statement, including specifically declaring that using BerkeleyDB via
Python for a commercial product did not require a commercial licence.

Oh, look, it is still there:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/
licensing.html

"""
Q. Do I have to pay for a Berkeley DB license to use it in my Perl or
Python scripts?

A. No, you may use the Berkeley DB open source license at no cost.
The Berkeley DB open source license requires that software that uses
Berkeley DB be freely redistributable. In the case of Perl or Python,
that software is Perl or Python, and not your scripts. Any scripts
you write are your property, including scripts that make use of
Berkeley DB. None of the Perl, Python or Berkeley DB licenses place
any restrictions on what you may do with them.
"""

Regards,

Zooko
---