[Python-Dev] Support for Encrypted Zip as python scripts

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Aug 24 03:52:26 CEST 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Gregory P. Smith<greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> I doubt you can even classify the zipfile module's "decryption" support as
> encryption.  It is trivially stupid, easily cracked (a 32bit crc based
> "cipher").  The zipfile module does not support the various later encryption
> schemes that use actual crypto algorithms.

Oops. I guess this is what Martin called "traditional PKWARE".

Quite separate from the current thread it might make sense to support
the stronger encryption schemes in zipfile.

> I do not think we should support execution of python scripts or importing of
> modules from encrypted zips.  I do not see a valid use case.

I am still awaiting a use case too (for running an encrypted script).
I notice that the OP hasn't replied yet. Let's give them a chance. (I
added Shashank back to the thread just in case.)