[Python-Dev] Support for Encrypted Zip as python scripts

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Mon Aug 24 10:54:05 CEST 2009

-On [20090823 22:10], Guido van Rossum (guido at python.org) wrote:
>Also, I suppose there could be (US) export problems with the code, so it
>would have to be optional (and we might not be able to build it into
>binaries we distribute from python.org).

For all I know the website and repository are both located @ the XS4All
colocation, so how does US export problems apply? It would apply if the box
would've been hosted in the USA, but they're not for all I know.

It's one of the reasons FreeBSD had their ebones repository located in Zuid
Afrika back in the day. Nowadays they can just include all the relevant bits
in the repository. So I wonder how applicable the entire US export
restriction still is nowadays.

In short: I don't think we have much to worry about.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Wisdom is the difference between knowledge and experience...