[Python-Dev] PEP 3144: IP Address Manipulation Library for the Python Standard Library

Peter Moody peter at hda3.com
Thu Aug 27 16:15:33 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:48 PM, DrKJam<drkjam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started a very basic (work in progress) entry on the netaddr wiki to
> track various aspects of this discussion that might not be in a format
> suitable for publishing to the list or are too lengthy. It will also allow
> my ascii art diagrams to render correctly ;-)
>
> http://code.google.com/p/netaddr/wiki/PEP3144
>
> I will be updating it as free time become available to me over the coming
> days. Feel free to make comments on the wiki page itself if you want me to
> make any changes. Duncan McGreggor should be able to make changes if I am
> not available for whatever reason :-
>
> If anyone has suggestions for a better place to put this, please shout (but
> not too loudly please Peter M. ;-)

you know, Dave, I'm actually pretty tired of your snide remarks. Your
passive aggressive emails, your inability to remember when or be
honest about why you unsubbed me from the netaddr list, etc. are not
the actions of someone seeking serious debate about the best possible
library for python.

To answer your 'where' question,
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/ is pretty clear on where peps
should be submitted:  specifically, "We try to build consensus around
a PEP, but if that's not possible, you can always submit a competing
PEP."

I'm not personally looking forward waiting around for more of your
free time to become available before you can get to updating your wiki
(which, btw, seems to be both out of date and otherwise incorrect wrt
ipaddr and shockingly under-representative of the complexity of
netaddr).  Hopefully the code you've written is currently in a more
complete state than the wiki and can be judged as it is.

Cheers,
/peter