[Python-Dev] Issues with multiprocessing

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Dec 9 12:22:42 CET 2009

On 09/12/2009 08:51, Joshi, Yateen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application that uses multiprocessing pools
> (multiprocessing.Pool(processes=.....)). There are multiple such pools
> and each pool has configurable number of processes. Once the process
> is spawned, it keeps on executing and does the needed processing. If
> there is nothing to process (like ftp'ing files from some source, if
> the files are not there, the process would sleep for some time, and
> then again check for files, that way, it is a infinite loop with some
> sleep), the process 'sleeps' for some time and continues.
>
> I am using a T5220, Solaris box with Solaris 10.
>
> Problem --there are multiple pools and multiple processes, i am seeing
> that not all the processes get spawned. They get spawned when the
> sleep time is increased (say from 0.1 sec to 1 sec). If I further
> increase the number of processes, again some process do not get
> spawned. For that, I further need to increase the sleep time (say to 2
> sec), then the processes get spawned.
>
> Typically, in a multiprocessing I would expect that if a process
> sleeps for even a small time, other processes should get their chance
> to execute, but this does not seem to be happening here. Can you
> please throw some light on it?

Hello Joshi,

This email list is for the development of Python, not for developing
with Python. A better place to try would be the python-list
(comp.lang.python - which has both google groups and gmane gateways).

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog