[Python-Dev] Proposing PEP 345 : Metadata for Python Software Packages 1.2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 10:39:37 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
[..]
>> So, if no one object, I propose to continue this thread about the way
>> range should be compared, to see if we meet a consensus quite soon. If
>> not, I guess we can go back to distutils-SIG and invite people over
>> there, as we did for other topics.
>
> Please, keep the operators simple and obvious, drawing on the existing
> conventions in other systems, so there's no need to have bike-shedding
> discussions over new syntax.

I don't think the operators themselves are the real issue. We've added
the ~= operator to address the range isue, but it seems now
over-complex for what we really need:

The real issue I believe, is to clarify what "2.5" means in the
context of defining dependencies and equivalent fields in PEP 345.

"2.5" means either "2.5.x", either "2.5.0". And it seems to me that in
the common usage, it means "2.5.x".
If we agree on this, then Antoine's proposal seems like the natural solution.

Regards,
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org