[Python-Dev] Removing tp_compare?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:33:18 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> No. I thought someone (you?) proposed that it should cause a runtime
> error if a type definitions fills the tp_compare slot. I say that
> 3.0.1 must not produce such an error.

Thanks.  I'm with you now.  I'll get rid of the relevant bit of code.

> > [...] sizeof(void*) may be
> > different from sizeof(cmpfunc*) on some platforms.
> Do you know of a platform where this is actually the case?

I don't, so if no-one else does either then there's probably little
point worrying about it.  The best reference I could find (besides
the C standards themselves, and in particular section 6.3.2.3 of
the C99 standard) was an ancient and short discussion on
comp.std.c (starting June 21, 1998, subject
"Q: void pointers and function pointers") where some of the
posters claimed to have encountered such platforms.

Mark