[Python-Dev] .Idle.py init file

Mitchell L Model MLMLists at Comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 23:34:09 CET 2009

I was trying to disentangle some IDLE behavior today and discovered
that If the user has a .Idle.py file IDLE will run it when it starts
up. This is independent of running IDLESTARTUP or PYTHONSTARTUP when
the -s switch is given. It is run by Tk.readprofile as called from
Tk.__init__. The "Idle" comes from the name passed to TK() when
PyShell.py creates its Tk root. In fact, not only is it independent,
but it works differently: any imports done in .Idle.py go into Tk's
name space, whereas IDLESTARTUP/PYTHONSTARTUP is exec'd and imports
go into the interpreter's namespace.

I don't think this behavior is documented anywhere, although since I
had a .Idle.py file I must have seen something about this somewhere
at some point. It's very hard to search for ".Idle.py" when "idle.py"
is a file whose name appears frequently in discussions.

Is this something that I should submit as an Issue or is it widely
known behavior? It should at least be documented.