[Python-Dev] patch to make IDLE load IDLESTARTUP/PYTHONSTARTUP on restart

Mitchell L Model MLMLists at Comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 23:36:06 CET 2009

I have submitted patches to idlelib/PyShell.py for Python 2.7 (Issue
5233) and 3.1 (5234), made against local repository copies as updated
an hour ago. The purpose of the patch is to have IDLE load
IDLESTARTUP or PYTHONSTARTUP on restart.

Along the way I also made -s the default so IDLESTARTUP or
PYTHONSTARTUP gets loaded when IDLE is started by double-clicking
rather than from the command line (no reasonable way for the user to
get the -s switch into IDLE.app on the Mac). I decided that on
restart IDLE should load the file that was loaded when it started in
the first place, on the off chance that something had changed in the
interim.

I changed the meaning of the -s switch to take an argument that is an
alternate startup file to load instead of IDLESTARTUP or
PYTHONSTARTUP. It might be better, though, to leave -s as it is and
mark it deprecated or obsolete or the default or whatever and use a
different letter to specify a load file.

I added a switch -q to suppress loading of the startup file.