[Python-Dev] Attention Bazaar mirror users

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Feb 22 12:46:09 CET 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> PS Just for my own information, am I correct in thinking that it is
>>> *only* Bazaar in the (D)VCS world that has this problem, to any real
>>> extent? I know old Mercurial clients can interact with newer servers
>>> (ie, the wire protocol hasn't changed), I'm fairly sure that older
>>> Subversion clients can talk to newer servers (at least, I've never
>>> cared what client version I'm running).
>>>
>> I've definitely had an SVN server tell me that I needed to upgrade my
>> client to 1.5.
>>

> Interestingly, I've had 1.4 servers tell me I shouldn't have upgraded my
> client to 1.5, which is a little tedious = particularly as the
> information comes in the form of a hard-to-decipher error message and a
> refusal to work. So much for backward compatibility.

Hmm... I've been using 1.5 clients with 1.4 and earlier servers for
quite a while now. My guess is that you deciphered the error message wrong!

A working copy created by a 1.5 client can only be manipulated by a 1.5
client (I sometimes have several clients on windows boxen) but work fine
with earlier servers in my experience.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/