[Python-Dev] Current patch process question

Wed Jul 8 20:10:52 CEST 2009

I am confused by the current hydra-like development.  I've recently
submitted a change (issue6422 -- a feature request) which is currently
moving through the process.  I am not particularly asking for special
attention on that issue, but I am confused about the process I should be
using (in the face of two trunks).

There seem to be two places to plausibly introduce a change: py3k and
trunk.  Should I submit changes for trunk, py3k, or both?  I tried
asking in the initial feature request, but nobody replied, and I finally
decided that I'd go for patching trunk in the interim.

For myself, I'd like to know if I should add a patch file for the py3k
branch, or will that simply make more work for someone else?  Certainly
it will be easier for me to do this sooner rather than later.

For the wider group, how should I have known the answer to these
questions?  Is there some page I overlooked?  Is there a better forum
in which to ask this question?

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org