[Python-Dev] Current patch process question

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jul 8 20:12:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

> There seem to be two places to plausibly introduce a change: py3k and
> trunk.  Should I submit changes for trunk, py3k, or both?  I tried
> asking in the initial feature request, but nobody replied, and I finally
> decided that I'd go for patching trunk in the interim.

Patches are usually first checked into trunk, and then svnmerge'd to py3k.
So it makes more sense to submit your patch against trunk.

> For myself, I'd like to know if I should add a patch file for the py3k
> branch, or will that simply make more work for someone else?

If porting the patch to py3k is trivial, you shouldn't care. svnmerge will take
care of it.
If, on the other hand, porting your patch requires many changes, or delicate
ones, providing a patch against py3k can make the committer's life easier.

Regards

Antoine.