[Python-Dev] [Distutils] PEP 376 - from PyPM's point of view

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 00:27:00 CEST 2009

2009/7/15 Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com>:
> I've been trying to follow this discussion now for weeks. The signal to
> noise ratio is pretty low.

I agree :-(

> I'd love to have an stdlib solution for distribution packaging and
> installation.  But I think we might as well pack it up and go home if the
> folks whom are contributing to the discussion "recreationally" (whom are not
> themselves implementers and potential implementers or spec writers or
> potential spec writers of packaging systems) continue to chime in on *every
> single issue*, contributing only stop energy.  It's just completely
> pointless.

I thought that as someone who is writing code for Tarek's PEP 376
prototype implementation, I counted as offering useful input. Thinking
further on what I've said, I'm no longer sure that's true.

I do think that at *some* point, the feedback from the non-packagers,
negative or irrelevant though it might be, needs to be requested and
considered. Maybe now isn't the right time, but it needs to be done at
some point.

Until then, I'll try to avoid adding to the noise.

Paul.