[Python-Dev] Support for Python/Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 22 21:43:45 CEST 2009

> My question is the following :
>
> - What are the implications for Py users ?

After reading your message, I had a difficult time getting your point,
or even finding out what your question is.

So I stick with what you said is your question: What are the
implications for Py users ?

To this, the answer is mostly: none at all. There may be vague indirect
effects (such as more Python software being available on Windows), but
I doubt it will be significantly noticeable.

> I mean, even if somebody (not me but enterprises & organizations I
> work or may work for in the future ;o) decides to use Windows pay for
> that and everything else, I'd not like to qualify as a "pirate" (or
> alike) for using a Py distribution or app including MS Intelectual
> Property (MSIP) (and MS loves MSIP -even if nobody can see it- and all
> kind of legal issues, especially with FOSS) nor even have Py in the
> middle of a patent dispute or something ...

I can't follow here. Why would using a Py distribution or app that
includes MSIP qualify you as a "pirate"? And why would Microsoft's
making free (as in beer) tools available to Python contributors
make you qualify more as a "pirate" than you are currently qualified
as?

> - What are the implications for other devs (not core ;o) who use to
> download sources and try new things, or perhaps use Py code the way
> they want to solve an specific issue, or modify it somehow to
> experiment or learn something, or whatever ?

They can now get tools for free that they previously had to buy.

> - Will that affect contributions from «future or potential» devs ?

This is an indirect effect; I doubt there is any noticable change
(in particular as VS Express is free (as in beer) already).

> - Will they also need an MS license to see or compile (or whatever)
> the changes contributed by Py devs ?

Not more than currently already, no. You may not be aware that Python
is *already* compiled by MSVC on Windows.

> - What about if for some reason, a idea or impl or alg or snippet (or
> whatever) is propagated to GNU/Linux distributions and it's MSIP?
> (considering former disputes like «Linux kernel violates 42 of MS
> patents») ?

Python contributors should always have the copyright to all changes
they contribute. They should not contribute code owned by Microsoft,
nor should they contribute code owned by anybody else (except
themselves). The latter is the bigger problem: sometimes people
contribute code that is owned by their employer, without an agreement
of the employer.

> I apologize in advance if I'm being rude or naïve or *

I didn't consider your message rude. It is perhaps naïve (apparently
ignoring the status quo), but you don't have to apologize for that.

Regards,
Martin