[Python-Dev] Support for Python/Windows

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:15:45 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 2:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> My question is the following :
>>
>> - What are the implications for Py users ?
>
> So I stick with what you said is your question: What are the
> implications for Py users ?
>
> To this, the answer is mostly: none at all. There may be vague indirect
> effects (such as more Python software being available on Windows),

Well this being said, it seems to be cool.

>> - What are the implications for other devs (not core ;o) who use to
>> download sources and try new things, or perhaps use Py code the way
>> they want to solve an specific issue, or modify it somehow to
>> experiment or learn something, or whatever ?
>
> They can now get tools for free that they previously had to buy.

Well it seems that this applies to core devs and I was talking about
people not being Py core devs. But anyway, if everybody can still
compile Py sources without worrying about further licensing
side-effects (i.e. more than we have today ;) then the storm is gone.

>> - Will that affect contributions from «future or potential» devs ?
>
> This is an indirect effect; I doubt there is any noticable change
> (in particular as VS Express is free (as in beer) already).

Well my concern (and what I didnt understand) was that if some
people, in this case core devs, (need | like to have) the
license to do (use)  something they cannot do (use) without the
license then (possibly) everybody else (i.e. those
not having the license) trying to reproduce what others did (e.g.
compilation) had to purchase the license.

If this is not the case, and non-core devs can do what they do the
way they do it so far, then the storm is over ...

>> - Will they also need an MS license to see or compile (or whatever)
>> the changes contributed by Py devs ?
>
> Not more than currently already, no.

... and it seems that's the case ;o)

> You may not be aware that Python
> is *already* compiled by MSVC on Windows.

Yes I am, but since I'm a frustrated lawyer I didnt understand a few
things (and I couldnt sleep yesterday because of that ... XD ...)

>> I apologize in advance if I'm being rude or naïve or *
>
> I didn't consider your message rude. It is perhaps naïve (apparently
> ignoring the status quo), but you don't have to apologize for that.

Well I wanted to avoid flamewars or unnecessary disputes or whatever
(you know, this licensing and FOSS vs proprietary debates may be
complicated and sometimes people get excited /me included, of course :
I'm human ;o)

Thnx !

--
Regards,