[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 23 09:03:00 CEST 2009

David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> writes:

> I'm on the python-dev mailing list and somebody gave me a link
> to a page that you have done:
>
>   http://docs.python.org/install/

That's a document describing how to use ‘distutils’, which is what every
recipient of Python will already have installed.

> Can I ask that you also provide a link for windows users
> to my project:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonpkgmgr/

That doesn't seem at all appropriate; promoting third-party packages
isn't at all what the above document should be doing.

> Our project provides an alternative to command line installation.

If people want an alternative to the standard tools provided in Python,
the documentation for Python itself is not the right place to be
looking. The Python Package Index <URL:http://pypi.python.org/> is the
right place to be promoting (free-software) third-party tools.

--
 \               “There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. |
  `\    Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, |