[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Jul 23 09:22:37 CEST 2009

> That's a document describing how to use âdistutilsâ, which is what
> every
> recipient of Python will already have installed.
>
>> Can I ask that you also provide a link for windows users
>> to my project:
>>
>>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonpkgmgr/
>
> That doesn't seem at all appropriate; promoting third-party packages
> isn't at all what the above document should be doing.

Distutils was once seperate and was then included in the standard python.

So i guess that I am working with the same goal in mind.

The Python Package Index <URL:http://pypi.python.org/> is the
> right place to be promoting (free-software) third-party tools.

Well I can sure try that and thank you for the tip.

Btw, at the moment there exists no inbuilt mechanism within python for
retrieving packages from pypi.

Imho this is an omission for a so called 'batteries included' language.

Distutils is a builtin module for 'pushing' a developer package 'to' pypi.

But there is no corresponging mechanise for a user to 'pull' packages back.

Surely this is a gap in the standard distro?

So it is not inappropriate for me to ask about this on this list.

Take care

David