[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 25 11:42:13 CEST 2009

> It's my intention to get a Package Manager included in standard
> python - yes.

In addition to the other constraints you'll have to meet for this
to happen, you also have to wait a rather long time (several years)
before inclusion becomes possible. This time is necessary for the
community to accept your tool, and evaluate it. Ideally, the request
for inclusion should not come from you, but from your users.

> Not at all. In source form the pythonpkgmgr requires wx package. In
> executable form it does not.

If we include it, we *only* include it in source form. Inclusion
in executable form is not acceptable. We also require that it works on
all major systems, not just windows.

>> No, it's a bias against adding things to Python that depend on things
>> not already in Python.
>
> That implies that nothing new can be added then.

No. It implies that any addition could only depend on Python (and
OS API) - so things *can* be added. For example, setuptools could
be added by this principle. OTOH, if your tool depends on setuptools,
you'll have to wait for setuptools to get included before inclusion
of your tool can be considered.

Regards,
Martin