[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 26 08:43:07 CEST 2009

> You can't seriously expect users to wait for years for an integrated
> package management tool. Especially on Windows - that's cruel :-)

Hmm. I'm -0 on providing a tool whose only purpose is to download
files from a web server. I always use a web browser for that...

> A Package Manager isn't a frivolous "nice-to-have" tool. It's
> essential for a new user.

Hmm. I would expect that a new user is faced with the challenge
of finding out what packages to install more so than with actually
installing them. If they read examples, they will see import
statements, and then they have to find out how to make those work.
Does your tool help with that?

When the user is not so new anymore, I seriously doubt that they
still ask for a package management tool - except perhaps for
dependencies, and here they use easy_install.

Regards,
Martin