[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 13:44:38 CEST 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I'm a user, and personally I don't want Yet Another Integrated Package
> Management Tool. What I really want is the ability to install Python
> packages using the PM tool I already use, namely yum. (And I'd like a
> pony.)

Picking up on this point... out of curiousity, I threw a couple of
package names at "apt-get -s" on my main (Ubuntu 8.04) PC to see what
worked.

The first two names I tried (numpy, scipy) didn't work, but the next
four (python-numpy, python-scipy, python-django, python-turbogears) all
had hits. Because Turbo Gears incorporates so many other projects, the
simulated run at installing it provided a nice overview of a variety of
other Python packages in the Ubuntu repositories as well.

No doubt a search in Adept would reveal a whole lot more "python-*"
packages that are just a few clicks away for me.

</tangent>

Cheers,
Nick.