[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sun Jul 26 17:15:22 CEST 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:05:07 +1000, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:
> But you shouldn't expect the
> Python dev team to accept an unproven tool into the official library
> before demonstrating both the need and the solution.

Of course... that's why I started off by asking what the process is.

I am accepting that the current status of pythonpkgmgr is "unproven" so
it will need some time for things to run their course.

> (Just because
> users say they want something, doesn't mean they'll actually use the
> tool you provide -- perhaps they don't know what they really need, and
> perhaps your tool doesn't match their needs.)

Conversely, the process of satisfying needs is to discuss them. And
people have been ever so helpful in that regard.

> I'm a user, and personally I don't want Yet Another Integrated Package
> Management Tool. What I really want is the ability to install Python
> packages using the PM tool I already use, namely yum.

ok - but no alternative to that is available on windows.

pythonpkgmgr is not so different to that. And the idea behind it is
to bring consistancy in package management across the different
platforms.

It does have configuration that are specific to python, and will
continue to do so. Like being able to specify where one wants the
package installed.

> Putting your software on the Cheeseshop, and making regular
> announcements to the Python community (e.g. on comp.lang.python) will
> be a good way to publicise the tool, and if does meet a need, people
> will use it, and then, if it's good enough and popular enough and
> supported, it may be blessed by inclusion in the standard library.

Thanks very much. Take care.

David