[Python-Dev] Integrate lxml into the stdlib?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 6 22:10:12 CET 2009

>> DLLs/sqlite3.dll 557K
>
> This is sqlite3 itself. I am presuming that the phrase "replace the
> sqlite DLL" above refers to this one

Correct.

> -- although the same argument actually holds for the .pyd file

Not quite. You can download Windows binaries for newer sqlite
versions from sqlite.org, so you don't need a compiler to update
sqlite (which you likely would if _sqlite3.pyd would need to be
replaced). So you can "bypass" Python and its release process for
updates to sqlite.

>> libs/_sqlite3.lib 2K
>
> I think this is a summary of the entry points into one of the above
> DLLs for the benefit of other code wanting to link against it, but I'm
> not sure.

Correct. I don't know why I include them in the MSI - they are there
because they were also shipped with the Wise installer. I see no
use - nobody should be linking against an extension module.

>> I do not know whether upgrades (like 3.0.0 to 3.0.1) would clobber other
>> things added here.
>
> It would, but not in a harmful way.

If the user had upgrade sqlite, upgrading Python would undo that,
though. So one would have to re-upgrade sqlite afterwards.

Regards,
Martin