[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 11:11:32 CET 2009

Jim Jewett wrote:
>>> - python to grow a decent, cross platform, package management system
>
> As stated, this may be impossible, because of the difference in what a
> package should mean on Windows vs Unix.
>
> If you just mean a way to add python packages from pypi as with
> EasyInstall, then maybe.

I meant package in the python sense, which has a clear definition,
unless I'm mistaken?

> In some environments, each new component must be approved.  Once
> python is approved, the standard library is OK, but adding 7 packages
> from pypi requires 7 more sets of approvals.

True, but as I mentioend elsewhere, I myself haven't done a python
project where I only needed python and the standard lib for many years...

> That said, it may make sense to just give greater prominence to
> existing repackagers, such as ActiveState or Enthought.

Right, getting ActivePython or similar approved might be the way to go,
but I'm betting it depends on the project...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk