[Python-Dev] In-place operators

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Mar 17 23:55:19 CET 2009

[Martin v. Löwis]
>  I would object to their removal, though,
> because it would hurt my sense of symmetry.

I wasn't going to propose removal.  If everyone had
agreed that the operator in-place functions were
problematic, I was going to suggest moving their
docs to a second page and documenting their limatations
(like we had done long ago with some of the builtins
that were no longer essential and had become obsolete).
That would leave the main page full of the operator
functions that have real utility.

But, if we want them to remain first-class citizens,
they are probably fine where they are.

Raymond