[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Wed Mar 18 22:21:46 CET 2009

2009/3/18 Arc Riley <arcriley at gmail.com>:
> Hey guys/gals

Thanks for organizing this!

> Summer of Code is ramping up.  Every year the common complaint is that not
> enough Python core projects get proposed by students, and of course a big
> reason for that is often the only encouragement we offer prospective
> students is a link to the PEP index.

Well, there's a list of core projects on the wiki if remember correctly.

> I've seen and heard that a lot of work is still needed on
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk both during the 3.1 release cycle,
> optimization possible all over the place.  It'd be great if those of you
> working closely with this can shout out some ideas, brainstorm a bit.

(Just so you know, 3.1 is in http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/py3k)

3.1 is scheduled to be released in June, so that's probably too early
for projects now. Of course, that doesn't take them out of the running
for 3.2.

One project I can think of off the top of my head is integrating ABCs
further into the interpreter (optimizing and probably rewriting the
abc module in C), so that C code can make use of them.

While working on the core is admirable, I think gsoc would provide an
opportunity to port important Python libraries to 3.x. It's important
to remember that doing ports helps the core immensely by uncovering
2to3 and py3k bugs.