[Python-Dev] Non-Core project: IDLE

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 03:01:41 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Scott David Daniels
<Scott.Daniels at acm.org> wrote:
> Guilherme Polo wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> IDLE needs lots of attention -- more than any one experienced person is
>>> likely to have
>>
>> I'm willing to step up as a student for this but I still have to write
>> a good proposal for it.
>> My actual concern is about mentor availability, is someone around
>> interested on being an IDLE mentor ?
>
> You might want to talk to Bruce Sherwood, as VPython suffered through
> a bunch of Idle problems.  I got the impression he had a person or two
> who were his Idle experts (so I am thinking they might be the mentors
> you are looking for).  In any case, even a charter of "unit tests to 50%
> coverage" of Idle would be a huge improvement.

Thanks for the direction Scott. I have talked with Bruce yesterday and
now again, he included a list of issues that is considered important
to be fixed but unfortunately several of them are related to mac only
and I won't be able to properly address them.

He also pointed me to the person that worked on some issues regarding
IDLE and VPython, waiting now to hear if he is interested on gsoc.

> I've run after specific bugs in Idle, but don't really know the lay of
> the land.
>

> --Scott David Daniels
> Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org

Thanks,