[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 19 01:44:28 CET 2009

>>> Summer of Code is ramping up.  Every year the common complaint is that
>>> not
>>> enough Python core projects get proposed by students, and of course a big
>>> reason for that is often the only encouragement we offer prospective
>>> students is a link to the PEP index.
>>>
>>> So let's make this year different.
>>>
>>> Accepted students are paid a total of $4500 to work for roughly 30 hours
>>> week, 12 weeks, on their proposed project.
>>>
>>> The challenge is finding project ideas for them that could reasonably
>>> occupy
>>> them for the entire Summer and which the results of their work can be
>>> demonstrated.  They're being paid for specific projects so "Spend the
>>> Summer
>>> fixing bugs on the tracker" is a no-go, and Google has outlined that
>>> Summer
>>> of Code is about code, not documentation.
>>>
>>> I've seen and heard that a lot of work is still needed on
>>> http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk both during the 3.1 release
>>> cycle,
>>> optimization possible all over the place.  It'd be great if those of you
>>> working closely with this can shout out some ideas, brainstorm a bit.
>>>
>>> PSF was announced as one of the mentoring orgs today, this week before
>>> student applications are open is for students to talk to their
>>> prospective
>>> mentors and iron out the wrinkles in their plans, so there's not much
>>> time
>>> to get core project ideas together.
>>
>> How about porting PIL to 3.0?
>> There were many such requests on python-list and image-sig (including mine
>> :))
>>

> I have ported it to the stage where its tests passes (which are far
> from covering all the code) and some of my own tests, there is a git
> repo on the image-sig that points to it. I wasn't really careful with
> some of the things (and I would even consider redoing some of them),
> but only one or two people got a copy of it so apparently people don't
> want/need it on python 3.0 just yet (not it alone at least).

I did a "git clone git://gpolo.ath.cx/pil-py3k.git" but it failed:

gpolo.ath.cx[0: 189.7.18.241]: errno=Connection timed out
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)
fetch-pack from 'git://gpolo.ath.cx/pil-py3k.git' failed.

By the way the reason I think few people checked it out is that people
mostly are waiting for an "official" PIL release that is known to be
stable. Did you try making your port part of the "official" PIL
distribution?

Cheers,
Daniel