[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 01:55:06 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Daniel Fetchinson
<fetchinson at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> How about porting PIL to 3.0?
>>> There were many such requests on python-list and image-sig (including mine
>>> :))
>>>

>> I have ported it to the stage where its tests passes (which are far
>> from covering all the code) and some of my own tests, there is a git
>> repo on the image-sig that points to it. I wasn't really careful with
>> some of the things (and I would even consider redoing some of them),
>> but only one or two people got a copy of it so apparently people don't
>> want/need it on python 3.0 just yet (not it alone at least).
>
> I did a "git clone git://gpolo.ath.cx/pil-py3k.git" but it failed:
>
> gpolo.ath.cx[0: 189.7.18.241]: errno=Connection timed out
> fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)
> fetch-pack from 'git://gpolo.ath.cx/pil-py3k.git' failed.

Thanks for noticing that, maybe more people had this same problem
then, I will consider using github or some similar service (or maybe
take the chance to bazaar, or mercurial, or svn, or..).

> By the way the reason I think few people checked it out is that people
> mostly are waiting for an "official" PIL release that is known to be
> stable. Did you try making your port part of the "official" PIL
> distribution?

I have talked with Fredrik, he said he would be running it on another
test suite to check how much of it really works. But, no, I didn't
really try pushing it to be integrated into the next PIL release and
it also wouldn't be possible without distributing a py3k version only
-- I didn't do the port with the ability to work in python 3.x and
python 2.x but this can be arranged.

> Cheers,
> Daniel
>

> --