[Python-Dev] Multiprocessing on Solaris

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon Mar 23 09:02:38 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Sorry, I mistakenly said "without issue" and then copied the issues
>> below. I meant to say "not without issues." _multiprocessing does *not*
>> build on Solaris 8.
> Hmm. They are all warnings - did you omit the actual error message?
> The lack of CMSG_LEN seems to suggest that control messages are not
> supported on Solaris 8, or that you need to include an additional
> header file to get them.

Sorry, I was trying to keep the amount of noise to a minimum, but those
particular implicit function declarations ultimately lead to linking
errors for lack of those same symbols:

*** WARNING: renaming "_multiprocessing" since importing it failed:
ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.7/_multiprocessing.so: symbol CMSG_SPACE:
referenced symbol not found

>> Is Solaris 8 really a supported platform? If so, I can investigate the
>> changes he suggested.
> The concept of "supported platform" doesn't really exist - there is no
> way to obtain "support". If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it
> doesn't. So if you want it fixed, provide a patch - else we can drop
> the issue.

I have no personal interest in the matter. I just happened to have
access to an older Solaris just for this sort of testing. If someone has
a patch, then I would be glad to test it, but otherwise, I am not going
to invest any time on this. The patch given by the OP is clearly
undesirable since status quo works just fine for a modern Solaris install.

> I think multiprocessing is misguided in hard-coding these settings
> into setup.py. As we can see, the necessary features are available
> on some versions of Solaris, but not on others. It would be better
> if autoconf tests were written, and the entire configuration removed
> from setup.py.

I agree, but I am not familiar enough with the set of features that
multiprocessing is implicitly depending on and how to test for them on
all of the platforms.

Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at cs.indiana.edu