[Python-Dev] Multiprocessing on Solaris

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Mar 23 15:31:47 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I think multiprocessing is misguided in hard-coding these settings
> into setup.py. As we can see, the necessary features are available
> on some versions of Solaris, but not on others. It would be better
> if autoconf tests were written, and the entire configuration removed
> from setup.py.

I guess multiprocessing doesn't use autoconf tests for historical
reasons. It's ancestor -- the pyprocessing package -- was using hard
coded values, too.

I've started with a autoconf file for the multiprocessing backport
package. The tests should produce the same set of definitions but I'm
not able to test it on different platforms expect Linux.
http://python-multiprocessing.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/configure.ac

Christian