[Python-Dev] GSoC: Core Python development tools

Daniel (ajax) Diniz ajaksu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 20:56:00 CET 2009

Thanks for the feedback, Antoine!

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Daniel (ajax) Diniz <ajaksu <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>   Sometimes, non-obvious bits like the right sequence of svnmerge
>> commands, the right way to link a Rietveld code review to a given
>> issue or checking for correct autoconf version might get in the way of
>> real development.
>
> Well, really, rather than trying to improve svnmerge, we should try to find a
> way forward to switch to Merc... oops, I mean what will turn out to be the best
> DVCS for our needs :-)

That was a little bait for input ;)

But the real point is that, regardless of underlying VCS, there is a
choice between "having all core developers know by heart the right
switches and order of steps to correctly checkout/update ->( branch
locally) -> fix -> diff -> commit -> merge -> solve conflicts" and
"offering a little, well-documented script that takes care of the
switches and sequence of steps".

Maybe a 'untangle svnmerge-created history' tool would help too? :)

>>   I am also available to help with the Python workflow part, and
>> there's an early effort to integrate Rietveld and our bug tracker
>> under way.
>
>> Food for thought example (sorry, not quite how a core dev works):
> [...]
>>
>> SVN exporting current working copy to: ../month_delta
>
> Does it work when using an hg/bzr/git mirror? There's already hg and git support
> in Rietveld's upload.py, so this should be possible.

Given that the pyfix script is completely imaginary ATM, yes, it works
as well with hg/bzr/git/perforce/CVS/darcs as it does with SVN :)

In a more serious note, the PIDA offer puts anyvc[1] on the table. So
we could support different VCSs as upload.py does it, or aim for a
more pluggable way, probably based on anyvc. Either way, them scripts
should be simple and follow the Unix way, so e.g. pyfix --export would
actually call anyvc --export or pyvcs --export.

Cheers,
Daniel

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/anyvc