[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Tue Nov 3 08:20:14 CET 2009

I'd just like to mention that the scientific community is highly
dependent on NumPy. As long as NumPy is not ported to Py3k, migration is
out of the question. Porting NumPy is not a trivial issue. It might take
a complete rewrite of the whole C base using Cython. NumPy's ABI is not
even PEP 3118 compliant. Changing the ABI for Py3k might break extension
code written for NumPy using C. And scientists tend to write CPU-bound
routines in languages like C and Fortran, not Python, so that is a major
issue as well. If we port NumPy to Py3k, everyone using NumPy will have
to port their C code to the new ABI. There are lot of people stuck with
Python 2.x for this reason. It does not just affect individual
scientists, but also large projects like IBM and CERN's blue brain and
NASA's space telecope. So please, do not cancel 2.x support before we
have ported NumPy, Matplotlib and most of their dependant extensions to
Py3k. The community of scientists and engineers using Python is growing,
but shutting down 2.x support might bring an end to that.

Sturla Molden