[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Nov 3 10:13:52 CET 2009

Sturla Molden wrote:
> I'd just like to mention that the scientific community is highly
> dependent on NumPy. As long as NumPy is not ported to Py3k, migration
> is out of the question. Porting NumPy is not a trivial issue. It might
> take a complete rewrite of the whole C base using Cython. NumPy's ABI
> is not even PEP 3118 compliant. Changing the ABI for Py3k might break
> extension code written for NumPy using C. And scientists tend to write
> CPU-bound routines in languages like C and Fortran, not Python, so
> that is a major issue as well. If we port NumPy to Py3k, everyone
> using NumPy will have to port their C code to the new ABI. There are
> lot of people stuck with Python 2.x for this reason. It does not just
> affect individual scientists, but also large projects like IBM and
> CERN's blue brain and NASA's space telecope. So please, do not cancel
> 2.x support before we have ported NumPy, Matplotlib and most of their
> dependant extensions to Py3k.

What will it take to *start* the port? (Or is it already underway?) For
many projects I fear that it is only the impending obsolescence (real
rather than theoretical) of Python 2 that will convince projects to port.

Python 2.X is not about to 'stop working', but there will come a point
where it will 'stop being worked on'.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/