[Python-Dev] Porting C extensions

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Nov 3 22:56:19 CET 2009

Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:

> I'm afraid there is some FUD going around here, which is
> understandable since no one wants to burn a ton of time on something
> that will be difficult or take a lot of time. But I have not heard
> anyone in this email thread (or anywhere for that matter) say that
> they tried a port in earnest and it turned out to be difficult.

One obvious example is the C extensions for the interpreter itself.
The code for those C extensions is actually almost the same from 2.x to 3.x. The
two main changes are the module initialization sequence (see PEP 3121) and the
bytes->unicode change for special methods such as tp_repr.

Regards

Antoine.