[Python-Dev] 2.7 Release? 2.7 == last of the 2.x line?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 23:54:44 CET 2009

Folks:

It occurred to me to wonder why I haven't investigated how hard it
would be to make my Python packages Python-3-compatible.  That's right
-- I haven't even looked closely.  I couldn't even tell you off the
top of my head what is in Python 3 that I would have to think about
except for the new unicode regime.  I think the answer is that the
payoff is just *so* low to me at this point that it doesn't even
justify me taking 15 minutes to read "What's New In Python 3" or to
execute 2to3 on my smallest package and see what it does.

On the other hand, I'm totally committed to supporting Python 2.7,
because my customers will demand it and because I expect that it will
be easy.

So, if you guys slip in your favorite new Python 3 feature into 2.7
and add a deprecation warning for your least favorite Python 2
misfeature, then probably within about 24 months I'll have fixed all
code that uses the deprecated feature, and probably within about five
years I'll consider dropping backwards-compatibility with Python 2.6
and starting to use that new feature that you added to Python 2.7.

(I'm currently considering dropping Python 2.4 compatibility for the
next releases of most of my code.)

Regards,

Zooko