[Python-Dev] Cython as a Python implementation

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Nov 5 17:40:11 CET 2009

Maciej Fijalkowski, 05.11.2009 11:58:
> Python is something that passes most of CPython's test
> suite, modulo stuff that is considered implementation detail (like
> reference counting).

Certainly not an implementation detail to Cython. ;)

> Cython might as well at some point become one, but so far it does not even
> import the whole test suite (correct me if I'm wrong), hence it's not
> yet python.

The test suite is a problem anyway, given that Cython doesn't implement a
specific level of the Python language. It aims for 2.6 compatibility, but
it already implements many of the Py3k PEPs, for example.

But, yes, it doesn't currently import the test suite (without cheating).
Many of the tests fail to compile due to the use of lambda statements
(which won't take long to support on top of the existing closures) and
conditionally defined classes (which will likely take longer, unless we
cheat a bit by special casing the simple cases).

BTW, other implementations lack some standard library modules. I find it a
lot easier to work around missing syntax than to work around missing
dependencies. But maybe that's just me.

Stefan