[Python-Dev] standard libraries don't behave like standard 'libraries'

Matthew Wilkes matthew at matthewwilkes.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 13:03:27 CET 2009

On 2009-11-12, at 1136, Sriram Srinivasan wrote:

> standard libraries i meant the standard libraries used.
> and what i asked for is for(in python) both the standard-libraries
> and the standard libraries used.
> c the term (intra and inter library management) which includes the
> default standard libraries and other standard libraries

I don't think you're using the correct terminology.  The standard
library is what is shipped with the interpreter.  It's the only thing
that's common between all users of that interpreter, i.e. it's standard.

> what if there is another site where only eggs of python.org
> containing add-on standard libraries are distributed
>  and noone is allowed to upload stuff except the python.org or PSF.

The PSF does not maintain add-on libraries, nor can it make guarantees
about other add-ons libraries.

>> So, you want to make libs that are currently part of the standard
>> library
>> external libs available via PyPI?
> Not exactly via PyPI but something similar to it.

Again, why?

> and don't compare C++ with python. both have their own + & -

Frankly, comparing and contrasting with other languages is very
useful, I have little to no idea what you're talking about, and doubt
it's got anything to do with the development of the Python language.

Matthew