[Python-Dev] PyPI comments and ratings, *really*?

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 21:30:17 CET 2009

Intention = personal opinion => for a better  PyPI

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd not trust a package without a bug tracker, mailing list or link to
>>> the source a lot sooner than something without comments and ratings.
>>
>> Yeah, but you're not exactly an average user. Most users don't know
>> how to use a bug tracker. Also, there's a large variety of packages on
>> PyPI. Not every developer has the same attitude, but they all live
>> happily together on PyPI. (Or did you want someone to start a separate
>> CPAN "for the rest of them" ? :-)
>
> True, but if you make entries for them mandatory (bug trackers,
> source, etc), and you encourage users to use them, you begin being to
> be the change you want to be, which is making PyPi *less* of an "app
> store" where the consumer doesn't collaborate with the authors.
>
> Or maybe rather than *putting* this stuff into Pypi; pypi allows
> plugins to allow authors to link in RSS feeds to their bug trackers,
> wiki streams, what have you.

IMO plugins could be a little bit complicated because PyPI would need
to be extended, and there's also the problem of installing, upgrading
and maintaining each plugin . OTOH if PyPI relies on a single API
based on open standards (e.g. RPC or something RESTful ;o) then that
would represent less overhead for PyPI maintainers .

Instead of votes + comments I'd prefer a similar user interface but
doing things as follows (feel free to filter things; besides I'll
mention how it should work using Trac XmlRpcPlugin , but should be
similar for other PMS ;o) :

  - Previous comments retrieved from third party site
    and shown (e.g. no more than 5 and only most recent shown like TH.org)
    as well as a link to navigate to third party site in order to look
for further
    issues . (ticket.getAll + ticket.get)
  - Text input would be the description of a ticket (ticket.create)
  - A combobox to select either comment | defect | support (ticket.create)
  - Ratings could be interpreted as a priority or severity ...
    (labels = ticket.priority.getAll + ticket.priority.getAll ,
     values for single item = ticket.get )

Implementing all this might require to add more information to the
index (I am not sure) and also config options in the site for package
maintainers, but since it'd be more useful (for me) probable (me and
others) will prefer something like that : *and users won't even notice
the changes*

;o)

Nonetheless plugins approach is more general and flexible, and it is
also possible to develop a plugin to support the RPC-based integration
with external issue trackers . The main difference is maintenance
effort once it's up and running .

;o)

> I think everyone can co exist, just not one at the cost of another ;)

+1 ... keeping relevant data in single place

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/