[Python-Dev] Package install failures in 2.6.3

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:50:46 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>>> If setuptools can be made to work with Python 2.6.3 /and/ earlier
>>> versions
>>> of Python 2.6.x, then it should be patched and an update released.  If
>>> not,
>>> then perhaps we should revert the change in a quick Python 2.6.4.
>>
>> It's technically possible to fix Setuptools. We did this fix on
>> Distribute, and
>> the patch is 2 lines long.
>
> My question was less about the political aspects than the technical aspects.
>  I gather you're saying that the fix to setuptools will make it work in
> 2.6.3 without inadvertently breaking it for 2.6.2, 2.6.1, and 2.6.0, right?
>  Have you tried the fix in those older versions to be sure?
>
> If, as I hope, the answer to that is "yes", then I strongly support
> releasing a fixed setuptools instead of reverting the change to Python.

Yes it does.

The fix makes sure build_ext.get_ext_filename still works as it is supposed
(just returning the extension of a filename depending on the
environment) under all versions,

*and* continues to do extra work for the Setuptools internal needs when
it is called by Setuptools itself on various places.

It's two lines in Setuptools.

But beware that a new Setuptools release might take a few months and
maybe will never happen.
That is why a suggested solution was to install Distribute, because it
addresses among other
bug fixes, this one.

Tarek

--