[Python-Dev] Package install failures in 2.6.3

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:42:50 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:26 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>>> We've discussed ways of doing that some years ago and found that
>>> it was not possible to make ends join.
>>>
>>> I'd much rather like to see some of the features in setuptools
>>> get implemented in distutils. eGenix could contribute a
>>> bdist_egg implementation that doesn't rely on setuptools and its
>>> monkey patches - along with some other new commands that people
>>> might find useful such as the ability to build Unix libraries,
>>> optional and self-configuring extensions, autoconf-style setups,
>>> etc. (see mxSetup.py in egenix-mx-base for all the details).
>>>
>>> We'd just need some help with integrating the things into
>>> distutils, since we currently don't have the bandwidth for such
>>> things.
>>
>> What about making the Distribute project the laboratory for this work ?
>> It's open to contributions.
>
> The way the distutils extensions are implemented (by sub-classing
> distutils classes) make it easier to add them back to core
> distutils, rather than to integrate them into another 3rd
> party distutils extension.
>
> I'm not sure how adding them to Distribute would help, since then
> you'd only be able to access them using Distribute.

I was thinking about the release cycles but this is maybe because I am
unaware of the way eGenix packages are developed, so I might be wrong.

Distribute has the bandwidth to work on this with many contributors
with a smaller release cycle than stdlib, allowing more feedback.

Notice that I am also doing nightly builds of Distutils that can be installed
and tried in released version of Python, and that can be used instead of the
Python's embed Distutils  (see the installable tarballs at nightly.ziade.org).
so maybe it's just a matter of continuous integration

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org | オープンソースはすごい! | 开源传万世,因有你参与